Director of Planning and Land Development (10 Years’ Min. Experience)
Gordon is seeking a new Director of Planning and Land Development. Our Planning Department is comprised of an award-winning team of landscape architects, urban designers, and planners. We work locally and nationally with public and private sector clients. Our planning studio is comprised of APA, ULI, and ASLA members, many of whom are licensed landscape architects and (1) one AICP credentialed. We work with multi-disciplinary teams on a variety of large and small projects from concept to construction. Our practice is founded in the understanding that land is a crucial component of the built environment and can be planned, designed, developed, and maintained to avoid, mitigate, and even reverse the detrimental impacts on resources, ecological systems, and quality of life. We have offices in Chantilly, VA, and an entity in Washington, DC.
We are seeking a professional for a Director level position in our Chantilly office with the following qualifications:
- A Bachelors or equivalent years of experience in Landscape Architecture, Planning / Civil Engineering, or related field with proven site planning/entitlement skills.
- Working knowledge of the land development approval process within Fairfax and Loudoun Counties and neighboring jurisdictions.
- Recent experience in a professional design office, working with civil engineers and architects in a collaborative environment.
- Virginia and/or Maryland license as a landscape architect (or ability to pursue reciprocity) and/or AICP Planner or in the process to become credentialed.
- Proficiency in the following programs: AutoCAD-Civil 3D, ARC GIS, Google Earth, Photoshop, Sketch-up, Lumion, In-Design, Illustrator, LandFX, and Microsoft Office/ Excel.
- Ability to adapt to varying regulatory standards among many jurisdictions.
- Firm grasp of the design process and the ability to lead/convey conceptual thoughts at both high and low levels.
- Working knowledge of Mixed-Use, Retail, Residential, and Office design trends and concepts.
- Strong graphic skills, and the ability to quickly create various types of graphics / exhibits.
- Must be an assertive self-starter / self-motivated individual who can handle multiple projects & responsibilities.
- Wants to be a part of a dynamic office that is committed to investing in continued education, mentorship, and professional development.
- Show enthusiasm, eagerness to learn the skills, and abilities to assist in furthering the success of our studio.
- May be required to perform duties outside of normal work hours and on the weekends for public hearings, work sessions, etc.
- Training/mentoring of junior planning staff
- Relationship building with local land-use attorneys and other teaming partners.
The selected design professional will be responsible for the following:
- Preparing/overseeing land use zoning applications, site analyses; conceptual and detailed project layouts, and visualizations; evaluating and refining land plans, utilizing skills with GIS mapping and analysis.
- Assisting with site plan analyses to present feasible solutions within various local jurisdictions; work should be communicated graphically and/or verbally and may require research and/or demographic component.
- Produce/Lead Illustrative land use graphics that address: Location, Density, and Configuration of Uses, Parking, Ingress and Egress, Public Spaces, and Service Areas for presentation to public reviewing agencies and public hearings.
- If GIS skills are present, maintain company Land Planning and GIS databases, focusing on the responsible collection, maintenance, use, and archiving of digital databases, reference libraries, folder structures, and other digital assets.
Gordon provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical / dental / vision and life insurance; short and long-term disability coverage; 401(k) Plan; Continuing Education Reimbursement; and more. Salary commensurate with experience. Please send resume and cover letter in pdf format, including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.gordon.us.com.