Landscape Architect/Urban Planner (3 Years Min. Experience)
GORDON is seeking new staff to join our Planning Department comprised of an award-winning team of landscape architects, urban designers, and planners. We work locally and nationally with both public and private sector clients. Our Studio is comprised of APA, ULI, and ASLA members of which 9 are licensed landscape architects and (1) AICP credentials. We work with multi-disciplinary teams on a variety of large and small projects from concept to construction. Our practice is founded in the understanding that land is a crucial component of the built environment and can be planned, designed, developed, and maintained to avoid, mitigate, and even reverse the detrimental impacts on resources, ecological systems, and quality of life. We have offices in Chantilly, VA, Martinsburg, WV, and a separate entity in Washington, D.C.
We are seeking a design professional for a position in our Chantilly office with the following qualifications:
- A Bachelors and/or master’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Planning / Urban Design or related field with proven site planning and design experience
- Working knowledge of the land development approval process within Fairfax and Loudoun Counties and neighboring jurisdictions
- Recent experience in a professional design office, working with civil engineers and architects in a collaborative environment
- Virginia and/or Maryland license as a landscape architect (or ability to pursue reciprocity) and/or AICP Planner or in the process to become credentialed
- Proficiency in the following programs: AutoCAD-Civil 3D, ARC GIS, Google Earth, Photoshop, Sketch-up, Lumion, In-Design, Illustrator, LandFX, and Microsoft Office/ Excel
- Ability to adapt to varying regulatory standards among many jurisdictions
- Firm grasp of the design process and the ability to convey conceptual thoughts at both high and low levels
- Knowledge of Mixed-Use, Retail, Residential, and Office standards and concepts
- Strong graphic skills, the ability to quickly create various types of graphics/exhibits
- Must be an assertive self-starter / self-motivated individual that can handle multiple projects & responsibilities
- Wants to be a part of a dynamic office that is committed to investing in continued education, mentorship, and your professional development
- Show enthusiasm, eagerness to learn the skills and abilities to assist us in furthering the success of our Studio
- May be required to perform duties outside of normal work hours and on the weekends
The selected design profession will be responsible for the following:
- Preparing land-use zoning applications, site analyses; conceptual and detailed project layouts, visualizations, evaluating and refining land plans, utilizing skills with GIS mapping and analysis
- Assisting with site plan analyses to present feasible solutions within various local jurisdictions; work should be communicated graphically and/or verbally and may require research and/or demographic component
- Produce 2D and 3D site plan graphics and renderings that address: Location, Density and Configuration of Uses, Parking, Ingress and Egress, Public Spaces and Service Areas, and Development Tabulation through multiple iterations
- Preparation of project graphics, from a conceptual/diagrammatic to schematic designs and presentation graphics
- If GIS skills present, maintain company Land Planning and GIS databases, focusing on the responsible collection, maintenance, use, and archiving of digital databases, reference libraries, folder structures, and other digital assets
Interested candidates should email their send cover letter, resume, and professional portfolio.
We pride ourselves in providing a comprehensive benefits package including medical / dental / vision and life insurance; short and long-term disability coverage; 401(k) Plan; Continuing Education incentives; training; and numerous opportunities for career advancement. Salary commensurate with experience. Resumes should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org in pdf format.